Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Book Review: The Midnight Star (The Young Elites #3) by Marie Lu

Type: Trilogy
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication Date: October 11, 2016
Publisher:  G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Where To Get It: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository  

Click HereGoodreads

Summary: The thrilling finale to the New York Times bestselling Young Elites series from “hit factory” Marie Lu.

There was once a time when darkness shrouded the world, and the darkness had a queen.

Adelina Amouteru is done suffering. She’s turned her back on those who have betrayed her and achieved the ultimate revenge: victory. Her reign as the White Wolf has been a triumphant one, but with each conquest her cruelty only grows. The darkness within her has begun to spiral out of control, threatening to destroy all that she’s achieved.

Adelina’s forced to revisit old wounds when a new danger appears, putting not only Adelina at risk, but every Elite and the very world they live in. In order to save herself and preserve her empire, Adelina and her Roses must join the Daggers on a perilous quest—though this uneasy alliance may prove to be the real danger.

Bestselling author Marie Lu concludes Adelina's story with this haunting and hypnotizing final installment to the Young Elites series.

Review

The Young Elites is probably a series that will stick with me for a long time, not only because it was an astounding trilogy, but because it was my first time reading about a protagonist like Adelina Amouteru.

The Midnight Star was a very emotional read. The feelings that I felt when reading The Midnight Star were bittersweet. 

I was on Adelina's side during this entire whirlwind of a ride even when there were times when she did something so stupid that I just want to punch her. There were many sides of her that I really like reading about. Her villainous nature was very present at the beginning of the book, but there was still a shroud kindness in her especially when it comes to her sister Violetta.

Speaking of Violetta, I can't bring myself to like her at all. She reminds me of a spoiled brat and the way she acts just pisses me off. I completely forgot about Magiano at some point. I had no idea who he was and I don't remember reading about him in the previous books. I was completely lost about his character and relationship with Adelina so it was a slight surprise on how their relationship turned out. 

The first half of the book was okay. Adelina and her Inquisitors are wrecking havoc conquering land and looking for her sister. The middle was lacking in the development area. I zoned out for most of the parts, but it wasn't something really important that I would confused me when I continued on. The last half or so was completely surprising. It caught me off guard and the ending was beautiful, although it did take me a while to wrap my head around it. I can't say much without spoiling it, but it was magnificent. 

It is going to be really hard for me to say goodbye to this trilogy. Marie Lu did a fantastic job writing with this trilogy. It was dark, captiviating and the general direction she went with it was amazing. Marie Lu, I applaud for doing a great job in ending this series.

My Rating:

❀❀❀❀

2 comments:

  1. I just commented on a review for the second book in this series. I read her Legend trilogy, have you? Wondering how you would compare it. This is just another series I am dying to read!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really looking forward to reading the finale for myself! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete