Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Book Review: If We Were a Movie by Kelly Oram

Type: Stand-Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Publisher: Bluefields
Source: E-Book
Where To Get It: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository

Click HereGoodreads

Summary:  Music meets Movies in this sweet college romance from the bestselling author of Cinder & Ella. 

NYU freshman Nate Anderson is a triplet who is desperate to escape his wild and crazy brothers. After they screw things up for him one too many times, Nate flees his housing situation and takes the first available room for rent as far from his brothers as he can get. 

Enter his new roommate Jordan--a quirky LA girl who believes that everything in life has already been done in the movies. In this heartfelt tale of love, friendship and family, Nate learns how to deal with his new adult life using Hollywood films as a guide.

Review

Although not one of my favorite book in the Kellywood Universe, it was still a really enjoyable read. Like all of Kelly's books, this was a cute and quick read so I flew by it in a day. 

If We Were a Movie is a definitely more dramatic than her other books. Nate moves to NYU to pursue a career in music and to escape from his less mature brothers, but of course, they followed him to New York where they all share a dorm room together. After encountering Chinese lady at a cafe, Nate finds himself rooming with Jordan, a movie fanatic, which causes a lot of jealousy from his girlfriend Sophie.

If We Were a Movie was told from the perspective of Nate which I didn't notice until halfway through the first chapter. I don't think I have actually read an entire romance book told from the point of view of the male character because, well, most of them are written in the POVs of the female protagonist or dual POVs. 

I don't usually go for the "good guys" in the story, but Nate really stood out to me.  Nate was a pretty chill guy, he is sweet and caring and is committed in his relationship with Sophie even when his brothers try to hook him up with other girls. I love the brotherly bond he has with his brothers and even though they piss him off most of the time, he still loves them.

I definitely love the cute relationship between Nate and Jordan. Jordan seems to be very chill and I love her witty banter with Nate about music and movies. Their relationship did develop wonderfully. They started out as friends who care for each other and after a while, they start to fall for each other.

I would also like to give some love to the side characters as well. Colin was a comic relief in the book, more so than Nate's brother. Everytime Colin was in the scene or when he is mentioned, I would laugh my head off. Then there is Pearl, the matchmaker in the story. She is very mysterious and wacky in a good way. I would definitely want to see more of her in the future.

Overall, great book. I would really love to see more of Nate and Jordan, especially after what happened at the end. Like all of Kelly's book, I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is looking for a cute read, because I promise you, you will fly by it instantly and are going to want to demand more.

My Rating:

❀❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment