Monday, August 22, 2016

Book Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Type: Stand-Alone
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Audiobook // Library
Where To Get It: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository

Click HereGoodreads

Summary:  My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Review

After hearing so many great things from my friends and seeing so many great ratings on Goodreads, I am sad to say that it did not reach my expectations.

Everything, Everything is about a half-Japanese, half-African girl named Madaline Whittier who is diagnosed with a rare disease in which she is allergic to everything. Because of that, she has been living in the confines of her house with only her mother and her nurse, Carla, to keep her company. Then a new family moves in next door and Madaline begins to exchange emails with her new neighbor, and, or course, they fall in love.

I really like Carla. She reminds me a lot of the protagonist's best friends in other contemporary books that would give amazing advice and cheer on the main character. She is like a mother/nurse/confidant for Madaline, so for that, she is my favorite character.

The romance between Madaline and Olly was...cliché and cheesy. It has the generic forbidden romance and falling in love with your next door neighbor along with the unique disease separating them. To simply put it, I didn't really care about the growing relationship between Madaline and Olly.

Everything, Everything started out okay. It got my attention and I was really enjoying the book. Then I start to slowly lose interest which is mostly due to the romance which I was not feeling at all. However, when the big twist at the end was revealed I was shocked which made me like the book a little more.

My Rating:

❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment