Thursday, April 21, 2016

Review: Slumber by Christy Sloat

Type: Duology
Genre: Retelling, Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication Date: March 26, 2015
Publisher: Anchor Group Publishing
Source: Review Copy from YA Bound Book Tours
Where To Get It: Amazon | Barnes and Noble

Click Here Goodreads

Summary: Not all princesses get their happily ever after...They tell me I killed my boyfriend Phillip in cold blood. I stabbed him twenty one times. I’m only seventeen years old, and I am serving life in Spindle Ridge Asylum for the Criminally Insane.
I don’t remember killing him, so it’s really hard to believe I’m capable of murder. In fact I don’t remember anything before I came to Spindle Ridge, not even my boyfriend.
I can only grasp onto my realistic dreams while the madness of the asylum threatens to pull me under. I dream I’m a beautiful princess and there is an evil faerie named Maleficent who is bent on my destruction. The dreams are the closest thing I have to memories of my life, except they aren’t real.
I’m crazy. I’m not a princess.
They’re the mad illusions of an irrational teenage girl, right?
They’ve assigned me a new doctor, and she says I can trust her, and that she’ll help me see the truth of who I really am.
When she arrived she brought a new patient, Sawyer, who is everything Spindle Ridge isn’t: exciting, mysterious and beautiful. He promises he’s here to rescue me. Trusting either of them frightens me.
Could it be possible that my dreams are more than just the imaginings of a delusional girl? Could they be truth?

Review

Seeing as I have not been a fan of Sleeping Beauty retellings, I went into this book with an open mind. Slumber is a retelling about Rory who was sent into an insane asylum for murdering her boyfriend Philip. However, she has no collection of her past before she was admitted. 

This book was told in multiple POVs which makes this book really fun to read since you are able to see what everyone is thinking. What really drew me to this book is the plot. It was really interesting and it gives a whole new perspective of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale, however, after that, the book just went kind of downhill.

Although I went into it with no expectations, it was hard for me to get into it and I have to put it down a couple of times. The characters were interesting and are relatable but there is nothing special about them that particularly drew me to them. Even when it reached the climax, it wasn't really dramatic as I thought it would be and the ending did not leave a big impression with me. 

My Rating:

❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment