Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Review: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

Type: Series
Genre: Mythology, Middle-School
Publication Date: October 6, 2015
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Source: Haardcover // Amazon
Where To Get It: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble

Click Here Goodreads


Summary: Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.
One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .



Review

The Sword of Summer revovles around Magnus Chase, Annabeth's cousin, who, after dying, discovers that his father is a Norse god and he has become an immortal soldier. Like Rick's other book, Magnus is part of a prophecy where he goes on an adventure to look for a sword.

I was really anticipating this new release, but I was slightly disappointed with the turnout. Magnus reminds me a lot of Percy with his sense of humor and the way he was voiced so it was really hard for me to differentiate from the two.

Although it was quite enjoyable, I find the plot to be predictable and reminds me a lot of PJO, but instead of Greek mythology, it is Norse. The humorous scenes weren't really humorous at all, I just find it boring. Sometimes, I find it hard to go through with the book because of predictability of the book. 

Overall, it was okay, not as amazing as his other work though. I did enjoy the ties of Magnus and Annabeth though and I can't wait to see how that turns out to be. I thought that Rick Riordan did an amazing job of putting gods into the modern world and writing incredible stories about it. However, I am not really dying for the next book coming out.

My Rating:

❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment