Monday, March 21, 2016

Review: The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson

Type: Graphic Novel
Illustrator: Joëlle Jones
Genre: Dystopian
Date Published: April 1, 2015
Publisher: Graphic Universe

Source: Hardcover // Library
Where To Get It: Amazon Book Depository | Barnes and Noble

Click Here 
 Goodreads

Summary: A DEADLY VIRUS KILLED EVERY ADULT ON EARTH, LEAVING ONLY US KIDS BEHIND. 


 My parents are gone, so I'm responsible for my little brother Todd. I have to make sure we stay alive. Many kids are sick or starving, and fierce gangs are stealing and destroying everything they find. Lots of people have given up, but here on Grand Avenue, some of us are surviving, because of me.

I figured out how to give the kids on Grand Avenue food, homes, and protection against the gangs. But Tom Logan and his army are determined to take away what we've built and rule the streets themselves. How long can we keep fighting them off? We need to find another place for us to live safely.
A strong place, a secret place.
In a world like this, someone has to take charge.

Review

I didn't really enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. It was a fairly short book and I finished it in less than an hour. There was a lot of problems with this graphic novel, especially with the characters. I didn't really connect with the main character at all. Lisa was very annoying in the book and I really expected to like her at the end, but that did not happen at all. I thought that all of these characters are very annoying, which I totally get since they are little kids, but I can't stand them at all.

I thought that there was no depth in the story at all. The synopsis sounded really interesting: a deadly virus killed all the adults and teens on earth, leaving the kids to defend themselves. I felt that the whole point of the story was pointless. It's just about a bunch of little kids surviving on their own, fighting each other. This reminded me a lot of a rip-off of Lord of the Flies and I definitely did not enjoy it at all.

Overall, I did not enjoy this graphic novel at all. I thought that it was a pointless read for me and I would not recommend this to anyone at all.

My Rating:

❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment