Saturday, February 20, 2016

Review: The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender

Type: Stand-Alone
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult
Date Published: August 25, 2015
Publisher: Point
Source: Hadcover // Library
Where To Get It: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble

Click Here  Goodreads

Summary: In this asylum, your mind plays tricks on you all the time…
Delia’s new house isn’t just a house. Long ago, it was the Piven Institute for the Care and Correction of Troubled Females—an insane asylum nicknamed “Hysteria Hall.” However, many of the inmates were not insane, just defiant and strong willed. Kind of like Delia herself.

But the house still wants to keep “troubled” girls locked away. So, in the most horrifying way, Delia gets trapped.

And that’s when she learns that the house is also haunted.

Ghost girls wander the halls in their old-fashioned nightgowns. A handsome ghost boy named Theo roams the grounds. Delia finds that all the spirits are unsettled and full of dark secrets. The house, as well, harbors shocking truths within its walls—truths that only Delia can uncover, and that may set her free.

But she’ll need to act quickly, before the house’s power overtakes everything she loves.



My Rating:

I adore Katie Alender's work. They are fun and interesting and I just love them so I had to pick this up. No surprise here, but I really enjoyed it.

After reading the synopsis, I was really hesitant to pick it up because the main character is going to end up dead and I read another book about a ghost trying to find her killer and I did not enjoy it so I didn't see the point of reading about a dead girl, especially from a dead girl's perspective. However, my enjoyment of Katie Alender's book made me read it in the end.

Although it was a horror novel, it didn't really creep me out; it just entertained me a lot. I really enjoyed Katie's writing style, it flowed very nicely and made it easy to read. From the very first page, it grabs your attention and kept you hooked. The way she described the scenario made me want to understand the character more and more especially the family relationships. However, the romance was kind of iffy for my taste, but it doesn't really focus on that part.

One characteristic that I enjoyed was the time lapse. I did't even know that time was even passing by at all and when it does it kind of surprised me. The ending really got to me. Even though it is mostly about Delia discovering the mysteries about the building, it just made me think about life and that really got to me, seeing Delia's family growing up without her and forgiving those that she loved. 

Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was heartbreaking, mysterious, and original mixed together to create such a unique and entertaining read.

My Rating:

❀❀❀❀

1 comment:

  1. Great review! It's my first time hearing about this but I definitely want to check it out. I looked at the rest of your blog and I definitely followed!

    ReplyDelete