Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Review: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Type: Play
Genre: Romance, Tragedy, Classic
Date Published: 1597
Source: Paperback // Book Outlet

Click Here Goodreads




Review

This entire month, I have been reading Romeo and Juliet for my English class so I pretty much have a lot I have to say about it.  Also, I would like to note that this was my very first classic that I have ever read so it was a new experience for me since I mostly read YA.

First of all, I didn't really think I would actually enjoy Romeo and Juliet as much as I thought I would. We already know what is going to happen (basically everyone dies) so I did not see the point in reading it at all so it was pretty surprising how much I actually enjoyed it. 

Shakespeare is definitely very confusing for me after all, it is written in old Englsh. I have no idea what they are saying half the time and I would have to read the same thing over and over again for me to actually process what is going on in the story or my teacher would explain it to me.

The entire play takes place in a span of about 5 days to say the least. They meet in less than a day and then the next day they decide to get married! That is so crazy since Romeo was actually in love with another girl (Rosaline a.k.a. Juliet's cousin) before he saw Juliet and fell in love with her from afar before getting to know her. 

Although I find the whole situation ridiculous and unrealistic, I kind of liked it. There were a lot of memorable and amazing lines that stuck with me. William Shakespeare definitely lives up to his name since he was able to write about something so amazing that people are still reading it about 400 years later.


My Rating:

❀❀❀❀

No comments:

Post a Comment