Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Type: Trilogy
Genre: Contemporary, Poetry
Date Published: October 1, 2004
Publisher:  Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Paperback // Book Store
Where To Get It: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble


Click Here Goodreads

Summary: In Crank, Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.

Review

I have been putting this book off for half a year now, but in the end, I just could not finish it. I read the first half of the book in late June this year and I thought that it was okay.  The way that it was written was really interesting and it made me want to finish it because there were a small amount of words on each page and it was 500 pages long but that wasn't enough for me to continue with it.

Crank is about a girl named Kristina who became addicted to drugs and shows how much it has influenced her life and affect those around her. 

I thought that Ellen Hopkins writing style was really entertaining. The way the book was written was also really interesting and I really enjoyed that aspect of it. However, I was not deeply engrossed into the story as I hoped I would. 

From the very beginning, I could not connect to Kristina at all, nor have I ever felt any empathy for her. That was definitely one of the reasons why I could not continue on with the book. I do not understand her at all and it really frustrates me. I get annoyed with the choices she makes and I simply don't like her character at all.

After months of putting this book on hold, I have finally called it quits. I really enjoy Ellen Hopkins writing style and I hope I could read more of her works in the future.


My Rating:
(based on what I read)
❀❀❀

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the few Ellen Hopkins books that I haven’t read. It just doesn’t sound as appealing to me as her others. I love her work, so I might get to it someday.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete