Sunday, November 15, 2015

Review: The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

Genre: Historical, Paranormal 
Type: Trilogy
Date Published: June 2, 2015
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Source: Hardcover // Library
Where To Get It: Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble

Click Here ➳ Goodreads


Summary: Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.


Review: I enjoyed it, but it didn't really grab my attention. It was fast-paced and the premise of the book was interesting. I just find that it just wasn't right for me.

Elizabeth Grey is a hypocrite. She hates magic and yet she uses them. This should be the first sign to show me that I won't like her at all, and that's true. She talks about Caleb all the time and it was just annoying. She is also very oblivious to Caleb's feelings for her and I just can't take it. 

My favorite character would definitely be George and Peter. I find both of them funny, but they are also serious in the appropriate times. Most of the characters in the book are dull in my opinion. They do have distinct personalities that set them  apart from each other, but I just don't like them.

I enjoyed the plot of the book, but it was kind of slow for me. It was predictable so skimmed through some of the pages. The setting, however, is interesting, It takes place in England in the 1550s and I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. 

Overall, it was an okay book for me. The charcters are kind of iffy and the plot was slow, but I do like the fact that it was fast-paced and the setting.


My Rating: 2.5/5