Friday, November 6, 2015

Review: The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow

Type: Series
Genre: Sci-Fi, Young Adult
Date Published: September 22, 2015
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Hardcover // Library

Click Here  Goodreads

Summary: The world is at peace, said the Utterances. And really, if the odd princess has a hard day, is that too much to ask?

Greta is a duchess and crown princess—and a hostage to peace. This is how the game is played: if you want to rule, you must give one of your children as a hostage. Go to war and your hostage dies.

Greta will be free if she can survive until her eighteenth birthday. Until then she lives in the Precepture school with the daughters and sons of the world’s leaders. Like them, she is taught to obey the machines that control their lives. Like them, she is prepared to die with dignity, if she must. But everything changes when a new hostage arrives. Elián is a boy who refuses to play by the rules, a boy who defies everything Greta has ever been taught. And he opens Greta’s eyes to the brutality of the system they live under—and to her own power.

As Greta and Elián watch their nations tip closer to war, Greta becomes a target in a new kind of game. A game that will end up killing them both—unless she can find a way to break all the rules.


Review

I don't know where to begin... I was really excited for this new release. It sounds so interesting, but in the end I was really disappointed. 

Chidren of rulers from around the world are taken hostages by Artificial Intellegience in order to bring peace. So basically, when your country declared war that kid is killed. Greta has been a hostage for about ten years now and she knows the rule perfectly, but when a new guy shows up without any understanding of the whole situation, Greta's world is shaken up.

First of all, when I started this book, it was really hard for me to imagine the world. I really wish there was a map so that I can visualize how the world would turn out. It would also help if they didn't use wierd names at all. I don't even know where most of the places they mention in the book or where they were.

Another reason why I have trouble with this book is because the characters are so dull. They all seem so alike and I could not even tell them apart at all. Elian was not even interesting at all. You would expect him to bring some excitement into the story but that did not happen at all.

The plot was very boring as well. So there is dull characters with a not-so interesting plot. I almost fell asleep reading it. Basically, Elian is trying to knock some sense into Greta about the world that they are living in with AIs controlling their fate and all. Like how is she even okay with how the society is run at all? So after some convincing, Greta finally opens her eyes and see that there is a problem with their society and then they are rebelling.

The romance. WOW. I did not expect that turn, but I still do not enjoy it at all. There is a love triangle basically. I didn't expect there to be a love triangle with a guy and girl fighting for a girl. This was my first encounter with this type of romance and let me tell you, I do not like it. I thought that it was great but how it was laid out just made me want to face palm. It was just a drag and it annoyed me to see Greta to bounce off between the two love interests.

Overall, did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I did not like it at all. Period. I know a few friends of mine that really enjoyed it and it makes me feel bad that I didn't. It really just isn't for me.

My Rating:

❀❀❀


1 comment:

  1. Uh-oh. I'm really looking forward to reading this book and I've heard mixed things about it so far. I'm definitely still picking it up though.

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete