Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes Review

Type: Series
Genre: Mystery, Contemporary
Date Published: July 7, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Source: Hardcover // Library

Click Here-> Goodreads

Summary: Sixteen-year-old Tess Kendrick has spent her entire life on her grandfather's ranch. But when her estranged sister Ivy uproots her to D.C., Tess is thrown into a world that revolves around politics and power. She also starts at Hardwicke Academy, the D.C. school for the children of the rich and powerful, where she unwittingly becomes a fixer for the high school set, fixing teens’ problems the way her sister fixes their parents’ problems.

And when a conspiracy surfaces that involves the family member of one of Tess's classmates, love triangles and unbelievable family secrets come to light and life gets even more interesting—and complicated—for Tess.



Review: Amazing book! I enjoyed it so much! It is very gripping and well- written, as expected of Jennifer. It kept me reading from the very first page. There was a good mix of politics and mystery so it was a fascinating read.

There were some moments where it was predictable, like the type of relationship Tess and Ivy have and most of the relationships and the events that occured. However there are some times I thought I knew what was going to happen, but it just surprised me what was going to happen next.

There wasn't a lot of romance in the book as well. Tess is a strong, independent woman who does not need a man to make her wonderful. I wish Asher was my friend. He is funny and awesome. Seriously, Jennifer did a great job of creating very lovable characters. I just cared for all of them as I continued reading it.

However, the summary was kind of misleading. "...she unwittingly becomes a fixer for the high school set, fixing teens’ problems the way her sister fixes their parents’ problems." 

I was expecting more of Tess fixing her classmates problem, but instead we see her busy solving the mystery of her friend. We only see her fixing one person's problem by accident and when others ask her, she declined. I was pretty disappointed in that part.  

Above all, I thought that this was a very interesting book. The ending kind of got really slow, but I still thought that it was amazing. I am definitely picking up the next book to see how things will turn out next for this wonderful bunch of characters.


My Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment