Saturday, June 6, 2015

Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger

Genre: Contemporary
Type: Companion Book to The DUFF
Date Published: April 28, 2015
Publisher: Scholastic

Summary: Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go.
Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with— secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.

Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand—a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.

But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually like him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy? 


Click Here-> Goodreads


Review: LOL follows Sonny, who is best friends with Amy Rush A.K.A Wesley's little sister, as she begins to fall in love with a guy name Ryder, pretending to be Amy. 

I did not really enjoy this as much as I did with The Duff. I think it was because I expected too much from it. However, it was still an enjoyable read. The first half of the book kind of dragged on for me and I find it uneccesary, but the second half redeemed most of my enjoyment for it.


I got so annoyed with Sonny with all her lies and it was hard to keep up with her that I just couldn't deal with it anymore. Ryder wasn't so bad, but like what the summary said, he was kind of a snob and I get why he was acting that way. However, I still couldn't like him.

 I love that Kody included Madison (from the movie, not the book) in a short cameo and I find that kind of funny. Also, another plus is the fact that Bianca and Wesley is in it. It lets us see how they turned out from the previous book. I just wish that Bianca and Sonny interacted more, because they seem to have a lot in common.


I love reading about Sonny and Amy's friendship, because I think it focused mostly on friendship and how your friends will stick by you no matter what. I believe that was the most important aspect of the entire book. It also focused on the romance, but not as much as the friendship and family part which is one of the reason why I enjoyed it.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I find it to be a quick read. I would definitely reccomend this book for anyone that just wants a light read. Also, unlike The Duff, this book doesn't contain a lot of sexual content, but there are still a few cuss words in it so it seem more like a young adult book for me.

My Rating: 3/5