Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Hello, I Love You by Katie M. Stout

Genre: Contemporary
Type: Stand-Alone, Young Adult
Date Published: June 9, 2015
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Summary: Grace Wilde is running—from the multi-million dollar mansion her record producer father bought, the famous older brother who’s topped the country music charts five years in a row, and the mother who blames her for her brother’s breakdown. Grace escapes to the farthest place from home she can think of, a boarding school in Korea, hoping for a fresh start.
She wants nothing to do with music, but when her roommate Sophie’s twin brother Jason turns out to be the newest Korean pop music superstar, Grace is thrust back into the world of fame. She can't stand Jason, whose celebrity status is only outmatched by his oversized ego, but they form a tenuous alliance for the sake of her friendship with Sophie. As the months go by and Grace adjusts to her new life in Korea, even she can't deny the sparks flying between her and the KPOP idol.

Soon, Grace realizes that her feelings for Jason threaten her promise to herself that she'll leave behind the music industry that destroyed her family. But can Grace ignore her attraction to Jason and her undeniable pull of the music she was born to write? Sweet, fun, and romantic, this young adult novel explores what it means to experience first love and discover who you really are in the process.


Click Here-> Goodreads


Review: Being a K-Drama and KPop lover myself, I was really excited to read this book, but this was just a big disappointment. It reminded me more of a fanfiction instead and I just couldn't read through it.

I find Grace to be freaking annoying. She is a spoiled rich kid who gets on my nerves. She moves to Korea to get away from her terrible past, but doesn't understand anything about Korea and their language. Grace experienced some culture shock in this book and it just pissed me off. Jason is not a very likable person at all, he is obnoxious and just ugh! Even at the end I could't even like him.

This book is constantly being compared to Anna and the French Kiss, but I don't see what they have in common except with it taking place in a different country. The characters are so different and are polar opposites.

Overall, big disappointment and I just want to bang my head against the wall. I just couldn't handle the characters and how they portrayed Korea.

My Rating: 1/5